UPDATE 11/24/17. Project is finished and framed!
UPDATE 10/21/17. Went to goal day meeting, met previous goal of finishing all stitching. Just the back stitching left now.
UPDATE 10/3/17. My dad passed this morning. Progress on this project has been put on hold for now.
UPDATE 9/23/17. Due to my dad being in hospice since mid-August I am now making loads of progress. I work on this every day while I’m up there. There are days when he sleeps a lot and others when we have time to visit. He has enjoyed seeing the progress made and how “full” it has gotten.
I finished the cross stitch for Brett yesterday and took it in for framing. I was told 2 weeks (sad) because they order frames on Wednesdays only. So me being slow didn’t finish until a Thursday.
Now it’s time to start birth sampler No. 3. As of yet there hasn’t been an announcement for baby 4. But I’m not ruling anything out at this point. Baby No. 3 was born at the end of January this year! So maybe she’ll have hers in a more timely manner.
I started this the evening of 5/11/17. (Yay documentation!) Usually I don’t start posting until I’m months in (and have no idea when I started), but I have vowed to be better about keeping up this blog, and with the Side Projects Club meetup I have motivation to work on these projects and *gasp* finish them. So if you want to follow the progress of this cross stitch from start to finish, just bookmark this blog, or maybe RSS it? I have no idea, but be sure to check back. It will be updated every 4 weeks (Goal Days at SPC).
Let the stitching begin!
I have a large collection of mixed seed beads. Not sure when they became a random mixture. It’s how they have been since I received the tupperware full, well 3 actually. I wanted to make jewelry and I thought maybe having each color separate would be a good idea.
The execution of this idea is another matter. I’m sure there are some sort of tools that can be used to make this much easier, but right now I’m using the round-about backwards way that gets the job done, but takes a really long time.
I sit at night watching TV(from the DVR (almost to July!)) and stringing beads onto a wire and drop them into a canister. Only problem was when I forgot to hold the beads at the end they slid off the wire and all over the floor. Now that I have done that, it seems curling up the end might be the solution so I don’t have to pick beads out of the carpet, again.
So I will continue on my tedious journey of separating all the colors. When I am done sorting, I am hoping to have more inspiration to start working on some beaded jewelry.
In my quest to stand out I have decided to make my own business cards. My first venture was to create hand texturized cards. I have handed out a few and have gotten some positive feedback. But I felt that I need to get back to my favorite paper, wallpaper. It may not be the most exciting thing to see on a wall, but as a repurposed paper it’s awesome!
I have made my share of note cards with wallpaper, and recently turned some into postcards. Now I have turned my love of wallpaper loose on business cards. I think it really gives a whole new look and feel to business cards and could, I think, give an edge to the person handing out their card. I make these in small batches to keep them unique. I hope to get a set listed on Etsy soon.
I’m excited about this new way to use wallpaper and I hope others enjoy it too. There are so many possibilities, many more colorful than my first example, but I do like the texture. I say when it comes to making yourself noticed dare to stand out with these awesome cards.
I have this full length mirror from college. It is pretty simple with just a black frame on it. It worked well for a dorm, but I didn’t need it in my house. I decided that maybe some glass etching would work to make this mirror more of a piece of art than the clutter it was becoming.
I went to the store to get the glass etching stuff. (Armour Etch if you really want to know). And I needed some stencils too. So I found some that included words like “dream” and “believe”, you know the uplifting ones. There were also border looking designs too.
I used tape to mark off where I wanted to place the designs and words in a balanced manner. And that also helps to keep things even across the mirror.
This is what I ended up with. We have this tall wall at the top of the stairs from our little landing at the front door. It helps open up the space and is now a mirror that serves a little purpose as a mirror and mostly serves as a nice decorative piece.
It’s pretty simple and if you have a few weekends and maybe a couple of evenings you can re-purpose an old mirror. I have also seen this done on bathroom mirrors to liven up the bathroom. It works best on the mirrors that are just attached to the wall and take up a lot of the space. If you have a small mirror I wouldn’t recommend covering up what little space you do have to see yourself when getting prettied up.