I’ve been seeing more and more customized products, mugs, tumblers, wine glasses, etc. Before the end of last year I thought people were just magical being able to create such items.
The backstory: I wanted to create my own stencils so I wouldn’t have to rely on other people’s designs and size constraints. I started looking into flexible plastic (still haven’t gotten any) and how to cut it with more precision than an exacto knife and hand drawn lines. That’s when I stumbled on a product called the Cricut.
Upon this discovery my husband set out on a journey to find which machine and starter kit would work best for my beginner needs. I ended up with the Explore Air 2 which had just come out and a huge variety of items to try out.
My favorite item so far has been the adhesive foil. I have a variety pack of metallic adhesive foil that I have used on a variety of cards and paper projects. This is the first project where I am using the foil on a much used item.
I’ve had this thermos for many years, as you might be able to see it’s a little beat up, the paint is chipped…it’s seen better days.
I wanted to get a purple one, but can’t find it in stock. So I am still using this one and wanted to make the leap to making something that’s popular. Luckily I have a graphic design background and understand Illustrator, making the Cricut less of a learning curve than it seems to be for many new users. I drew the camera in Illustrator and exported my SVG file to cut out my pattern.
I know the foil isn’t considered “permanent” but we don’t use the dishwasher so I think with hand washing it should stick for a while. So far it’s made it 3 days.
Follow along on Snapchat!
This post uses affiliate links. This just means that if you go to the site and end up buying something I’ll get a small percent, this doesn’t increase the cost to you at all. 🙂
All commissions from affiliate links go to the maintenance of this blog. Thank you for your support!
UPDATE 10/21/17. Went to goal day meeting, met previous goal of finishing all stitching. Just the back stitching left now.
UPDATE 10/3/17. My dad passed this morning. Progress on this project has been put on hold for now.
UPDATE 9/23/17. Due to my dad being in hospice since mid-August I am now making loads of progress. I work on this every day while I’m up there. There are days when he sleeps a lot and others when we have time to visit. He has enjoyed seeing the progress made and how “full” it has gotten.
I finished the cross stitch for Brett yesterday and took it in for framing. I was told 2 weeks (sad) because they order frames on Wednesdays only. So me being slow didn’t finish until a Thursday.
Now it’s time to start birth sampler No. 3. As of yet there hasn’t been an announcement for baby 4. But I’m not ruling anything out at this point. Baby No. 3 was born at the end of January this year! So maybe she’ll have hers in a more timely manner.
I started this the evening of 5/11/17. (Yay documentation!) Usually I don’t start posting until I’m months in (and have no idea when I started), but I have vowed to be better about keeping up this blog, and with the Side Projects Club meetup I have motivation to work on these projects and *gasp* finish them. So if you want to follow the progress of this cross stitch from start to finish, just bookmark this blog, or maybe RSS it? I have no idea, but be sure to check back. It will be updated every 4 weeks (Goal Days at SPC).
Ok, so I took a little liberty with Lightroom with these photos. But as I was driving home I saw the light coming through the clouds and really wanted to capture it. I went for the dramatic, maybe one of these will be used for a project someday.
Last week I got the opportunity to test out my new lens. It’s a Canon 70-200 f/2.8. Not really the type of thing you take to a party. But I was able to take it to a Creighton basketball game to take photos for a non-profit and I snuck in a few game shots as well. I’m not much of a sport photographer, and this was very impromtu. Below are a few of the images I captured. I am still amazed with the first one, because the players are so angled and yet they don’t fall over.
Ok, so there’s not that many and I can’t remember if I ever said I was taking photos at the CWS this year. I did, it was a work thing, but I learned a lot about photography. Below is a little sampling of what I got. The goal wasn’t to really take pictures of the game, it was to capture things with the fans. So it’s not really your typical baseball CWS pictures.
I finally got around to edit these and thought I would share a few.
The weekend is so close now.. since I didn’t post this earlier you wouldn’t know, but at the beginning of the week I decided I wanted to try the Dr. Oz 48 hour cleanse. This means lots of shopping. I thought I had lots of “healthy food” in the kitchen, but apparently not. I have a long list of fresh veggies and a few fruits to get beyond that of the normal weekend shopping trip.
The other goal of the weekend is to figure out my new external flashes. I am working with a mini studio set up in my house to work on lighting and people shots. I am hoping to post some of the pictures to get a little feedback on how to make everything work well together. I have until April to know what I’m doing for my sister-in-laws wedding.