Another Pinterest project is underway. This time working with concrete, which I know nothing about. I do however know where to find rhubarb leaves. Not only in my backyard, but I found some wild rhubarb (and strawberries) growing along the path to the park from my house.
Using rhubarb leaves as a base and toilet paper rolls and pie tins to hold in the cement I went to work creating some stones. I bought a bag of quick set concrete to use for making the stones. They are fairly crumbly and I never researched what type of concrete would work best for this project. Sometime when I get back to this project I will try different ratios of water to concrete to see if that helps at all. I think there might also be too many air bubbles causing them to break apart easily. I also had some trouble getting the veins of the leaf out once the concrete hardened around it. I figure eventually it will dry out and wash away.
Right now my uses of newspaper is a super list of 2 things I use old newspaper/ads for while crafting and gardening.
1. You may have seen the use of it in my garden. I’m not sure how well the inks mix with dirt, but I’m hoping it’s not too bad and won’t cause more problems than the GMOs I inadvertently ingest.
2. Keeping old newspapers around for crafting is always good. With all intentions of not getting glues everywhere I’m just not successful. So I now coat everything with newspaper and spill away. I’m sure it would be great while painting and such as well, really any art project. Who am I kidding you probably have a stack higher than mine of papers ready to be spilled on.
3. Blocking a bee hive that is in an old swing set. As much as I don’t want to, they keep attacking my husband when he tries to mow. If only there was a good way to communicate with bees that we don’t want to hurt them, just mow around their house.
Anyway, someday I may start adding photos and make this much more exciting to look at. I am trying to do more crafts. But I ran into a snag with my last project when I gave it as a gift before I took a photo. So I took the process of making it and then nothing at the end.
After all the work of starting the little pods, the seedlings ended up dying on me. The ones that I thought might be successful didn’t do so well after being transplanted, so I started over a few weeks ago. I went old-school and just plopped seeds in the dirt. This year in neat rows that are somewhat spaced out.
Now that everything is planted and starting to pop up, I’ve found I have a crazy weed problem. I don’t want to use any chemicals and getting out there to pull stuff everyday is just daunting. Especially with almost daily downpours. So my mom told me about my grandma’s solution. Put down newspaper in between the rows, and just throw a clump of dirt on top. I guess she did this and it worked to keep the weeds away, and helped to create a little walking path. So using the comics I had on hand my husband got the weed covers started.
Overall the garden seems to be doing well. Minus all the torrential rain storms that keep coming. They bring crazy wind too. I have already been dipping into the lettuce that has come up. Super yummy on sandwiches.
Some plants are just fast growers, I guess. The weather is still horrible and my plants are really getting big. I bought some disposable transfer pots to transfer the pods into. I’m hoping to keep these going for a little while longer until it warms up enough outside.
With my new found space in the tray I have bought a few more seeds and am going to add broccoli, cauliflower and dill to my garden.
Here’s the progress on the green beans and cucumbers.
Since moving into our first house, my husband and I have been making sad attempts at a garden. We were lucky enough to find a house that came with a small strip up the side of the yard ready for a garden, it even has asparagus. Now we are going into our third summer at the house and if it ever stops snowing we might be able to get going on this whole garden thing again.
Here’s the run down, year one: I tried planting multiple things in the same row. Cucumber, beans, and squash all crammed together did not go so well for a successful garden.
Year two: I made a map of what I was planting. Gave the plants with big leaves lots of space. Ended up a drought year and pretty much everything died. But had lots of small tomatoes resulting in bruschetta overload.
Year three: You get to join me on the adventure this year! I have bought seeds. Not sure if I have all the things I want, but like I said, it’s not the largest space. We had my dad till in the fall. We even took up the netting stuff for the tomatoes so the dirt should be fresh this year. I hope we can get it tilled once more before planting.
Instead of trying to plant seeds outside and hope things will grow, I will be using a starter kit inside with little dirts that will grow when watered. I will be keeping you posted on their progress.