After all the work of starting the little pods, the seedlings ended up dying on me. The ones that I thought might be successful didn’t do so well after being transplanted, so I started over a few weeks ago. I went old-school and just plopped seeds in the dirt. This year in neat rows that are somewhat spaced out.
Now that everything is planted and starting to pop up, I’ve found I have a crazy weed problem. I don’t want to use any chemicals and getting out there to pull stuff everyday is just daunting. Especially with almost daily downpours. So my mom told me about my grandma’s solution. Put down newspaper in between the rows, and just throw a clump of dirt on top. I guess she did this and it worked to keep the weeds away, and helped to create a little walking path. So using the comics I had on hand my husband got the weed covers started.
Overall the garden seems to be doing well. Minus all the torrential rain storms that keep coming. They bring crazy wind too. I have already been dipping into the lettuce that has come up. Super yummy on sandwiches.